Homemade Flour Tortillas
5 ingredients + 1 cast iron skillet = Deliciousness
• 2.5 c All Purpose Flour
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Baking Powder
• 1/4 c Lard, Butter, rendered Bacon Fat, Vegetable Oil or Shortening.
Cold. Cut into small cubes.
• up to 1 c warm water (120 degrees)
• Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder
• With fingertips or pastry blender, rub chosen fat into the flour mixture until it disappears. Coating the flour inhibits gluten formation and helps with rolling out flat tortillas.
• Starting with 7/8 c of the warm water, stir briskly (a fork is useful) into the flour mixture until a shaggy dough forms. You may need to add more water.
• Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth (about 2 minutes). If the dough is too sticky then add a little flour.
• Divide into 8 balls, flatten slightly and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Use either a bit of oil or plastic wrap to over, you do not want the balls to dry out.
• Heat ungreased cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
• On your floured surface, use rolling pin to form 9" round (keep other balls covered). Transfer to skillet and dry fry until dough begins to bubble. About 35 seconds per side, pull off skillet and immediately transfer to plate and cover with clean towel. Repeat with remaining 8 balls.
• Eat fresh. You can store completely cooled tortillas in refrigerator. Warm in ungreased skillet.